Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

U Jelly?

Well, don't be. Although I had fun working on this, the final product leaves much to be desired. Watercolors are always fun though! They are, in fact, my favorite medium to use. So after I started digging around for my mini-sized watercolors, Xuco had just decided to use his for the first time! Yay!

For this project, I pulled out my watercolor paper, my travel-sized watercolors (with collapsible paintbrush), a paper towel, and a cupcake-shaped box that I decided to designate as my water container. Simply because you can never have enough cuteness.

First I sponged some diluted Cerulean Blue onto the watercolor paper. It spreads more evenly if the paper is wet all over, with the pigment spread on after. After the background dried, I sketched some jellies with Azo Yellow (I think it was?).
Then I detailed with an orange of some sort :P
After I added some more layers of reds, oranges, and browns, (and completely skipping over this tutorial a bit! Sorry!) I started painting around the tops of the jellys in a thick coat of Cerulean Blue. I painted out some tentacles and remembered to leave some spaces under the jellies for the "oral arms."
And then I just gave up completely on the tutorial and just had fun with painting. :P For the oral arms, I just splotched a thick coat of the white paint. I also defined the tentacles a bit. In the end, this was fun to work with, but BOY do I need to practice more with my watercolors. I feel like I am generally more delicate but this ended up being a bit clunky, know what I mean? Ah well.


Meanwhile, in Xuco-land:

I have no idea what I'm doing :)

But now that I see Lyndsey's process, I have leveled up!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Jellyfish Lyndsey, so amazing looking! Xuco has done far better than any water color i have ever done...

    ReplyDelete